Saturday, June 23, 2012



Week 1...
The section that truly moved me was the idea that a worship song is a place within itself. A place that people can enter and meet with an intimate and loving God.


In what ways have you seen God be the "subject of the sentence" or the "object of the sentence" in your own worshiping life?
This question makes me think of a time not too long ago (Jan 2012) that I had began to do worship in the small group my wife and I attend. Especially in my first few months; I was always really nervous before worship. I wanted to play well, not embarrass myself too bad and provide worship where people can meet with God. After looking at my heart during that time, I made it less about providing a place for people to worship and more about putting on a good sounding show. My heart wanted to worship Jesus and when I engaged in worship on my own, I did that. But my head would get so wrapped around not messing up during my set that I lost sight of why God wants us to worship. Even as a worship leader, I was concentrating too much on the music and not on Him.
The truth is, I was far too self-conscious about my skill level, I wasn't having fun while I worshipped. Since then I've learned to not only gain some confidence in my playing ability but also to perform more naturally, finding more enjoyment playing worship because I make it less about how I play and more about how well the group responds to the Holy Spirit. When I embrace my imperfection as a musician, my passion for Jesus and worshipping Him is able to shine through.

In what ways have you seen "embedded theology" at work in your own life? In what ways have you chosen to do "deliberative" theology, and what experiences triggered that choice?
I'm a youth leader, I hear a lot of embedded theology from the kids in my group. A lot of "My Grandma told me..." or "I heard..." usually their statements or beliefs are not from the bible but from a relative or some kind of folklore they heard growing up. However, the time I felt most moved to begin deliberative theology was during a small group session last year. In our group, a question was asked and a lot of the answers were "growing up my Mom always told me.." few people had biblical answers to give, most relied on how they were brought up for all their answers. These were "seasoned christians" having trouble outlining biblical principles. This challenged me to begin my deliberative theology, it's an on-going study/project. I challenge myself to develop concrete beliefs and make it a point to note why I believe it (using scripture).

7 comments:

  1. This is Kristin...I really like what you said about making a place. I struggle with insecurity in my abilities also and I find it interferes when I lead worship. I will remind myself next time that the most important thing I can do is help create a place where people can engage in worship and my job is done. No pressure! Ha! I also like that you are purposely studying to have more deliberate theology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good first week DQ! I love that you have taken the risk and are stepping out! I truly believe that God has you right where he wants you, and that you have far more influence than you realize, don't be afraid of it! Also, regarding skill, passion is always critical, but you'll also be amazed at how quickly you grow by just doing it!! Keep going! Its of the utmost importance to your group! Great job D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a place where I can be encouraged by fellow believers and mentored to grow spiritually! Just Rich! Thanks for your words, Matt.

      Delete
  3. Found this very interesting. I think any worship leader could relate to the skill level thing at some point in their journey! Cool to hear how you worked through that and how you became more released to play freely in those worship times. I used to get it in certain ways too, and would have to pray and remind myself that it is a constructed thought process that bears no true weight - and that Jesus reigns over it; that he looks at the worshippers/worship leaders heart to serve! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mauleysumusing I totally agree. We have all been there. I loved it David when you said that: "When I embrace my imperfection as a musician, my passion for Jesus and worshipping Him is able to shine through." Amen you then have the freedom to worship Him and He takes care of the rest. We should have our confidence in Him and not in our ability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really stoked and excited when you mentioned you were wanting to step into the Worship Leader role, DQ! I always noticed that you didn't need the lyric sheets and you new every song like whoaaaa! I'm really excited about Adam's idea to have a group worship night with the married small groups and get to play some tunes and lead our friends in worship mang! I'm with you on the needing to find our own answers in scripture that we can form our beliefs on. Keep it up mang! - Dallas-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D! We actually need to start talking about that in the next couple months! I really appreciate your encouragement and I'm glad you getting your learn on in this class.

      Delete